- City of Nichols
City of Nichols
Benjamin F. and Susan M. (Jenkins) Nichols House House is potentially locally significant and eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion B. The house is historically associated with Benjamin F. Nichols (1825-1893), who platted the original railroad town of Nichols Station (a.k.a., Nichols) and contributed substantially to its development. The evolution of the house from c.1872 to 1888 mirrors Benjamin F. Nichols contributions to the growth of the town of Nichols. Benjamin F. Nichols made important contributions to the settlement and development of the town of Nichols, and this was his residence during the time that he made most of those significant contributions. The house retains sufficient integrity to reflect its associations with Benjamin F. Nichols and his significance to the town of Nichols. The period of significance of the Benjamin F. and Susan M. (Jenkins) Nichols House is therefore c.1872 to 1893, from the year it was first built to the year Nichols died in the house.
Benjamin F. and Susan M. (Jenkins) Nichols House porch
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church is a one-story, center-steeple church built of brick with cut Bedford limestone trim in the Late Gothic Revival style. This church was built in 1920 after a fire gutted the previous Late Gothic Revival brick church, which had been built in 1904. The church was rebuilt using the same architect and plans and specifications of the 1904 church, and reused the exterior brick and cut stone that survived the fire. As a result, the rebuilt 1920 church is a near replica of the one lost.
The interior of the church retains most of its historic appearance, including the floor plan of entrance vestibule, curving side staircases, nave, sanctuary, sacristy, storage room, side hall and basement entrance. The interior of the nave and sanctuary is lined with Corinthian columns supporting Gothic arch ribs, each framing a stained glass window, including the rose window high above the alter. These Gothic arch ribs and columns define spaces for religious statuary on either side of the sanctuary. Corinthian columns also support the choir loft that is adorned with a blind decorative wood balustrade carved to echo the tracery of the taller gothic arch stained glass windows. In 1969, new pews and carpeting were installed, and these newer features account for the updating that has occurred inside the historic main worship space.