Assessment Dates to Remember
The effective date of the current year assessment.
April 2 - April 25 Inclusive
Request for an informal review of the assessment based upon one or more of the grounds specified by the Code of Iowa for protesting the assessment. Requests may be made by telephone, mail, electronic medium or in person to the Assessor's Office.
April 2 - April 30 Inclusive
Protest of Assessment Period for Filing a protest to the Local Board of Review
- Board of Review Petition, - Board of Review Appeal Form (PDF) - Form must be filed with the Assessor's Office or postmarked by April 30 of the assessment year.
- Assessor Guide (PDF)
- Iowa Code and Administrative Rules Guide
- Assessor Duties and Procedures
- Exemption References
- Muscatine County Assessor Informal Review (PDF) - Informal review request - file with the Assessor's Office
- Board of Review Rules 2008 (PDF) - Muscatine County Board of Review Rules
May 1 Through Adjournment
The Board of Review meets each year.
October 9 - October 31 Inclusive
Protest period for filing with Board of Review on those properties affected by changes in value as a result of the Director of Revenue and Finance Equalization Orders (odd numbered years).
July 1 Homestead Credit
The deadline for filing the application for homestead credit is July 1 of the assessment year the credit will be applied. One time filing is provided, by statute, unless the property owner:
- Has purchased a new or existing home and is occupying the property as a homestead as of July 1
- No longer occupies the property for 6 months
- No longer holds title to the property
The deadline for filing the application for military credit is July 1 of the assessment year the credit will be applied. One time filing is provided, by statute, unless the property owner
- Moves and wishes to transfer the exemption to the new property.
- Becomes a resident of a state other than Iowa
Eligibility – DD-214 Discharge papers must be recorded in the county where the exemption is to be applied.
- Served full-time active duty during war time.
- Performed at least 18 months of military service, regardless of the time period and honorably discharged,
- Performed less than 18 months of military service and honorably discharged because of a service related injury.
- Former or current member of the United States Reserves and Iowa National Guard who completed a minimum of 20 years
- Unmarried widow of a qualified veteran