Motor Vehicles

Responsibilities of the Treasurer (Motor Vehicles Department)
The County Treasurer:
  • Issues duplicate, salvage, in-lieu and in-transit titles
  • Issues junking certificates for vehicles that are dismantled or no longer operable
  • Issues special plates
  • Handles license, title and collect use taxes on all motor vehicles
  • Prepares reports for the State of Iowa, Department of Transportation
  • Processes refund claim forms
  • Records and releases security interests
  • Renews license plates
Read the frequently asked questions on the State Treasurer's website.

For Motor Vehicle forms refer to:
Iowa Tag Renewals
Renew online with E-Check or Credit Card

Requirement Information
  • Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with the county treasurer’s office within 30 days from the date you establish residency.
  • When buying a motor vehicle you have 30 days to transfer the vehicle without paying penalties.
  • When selling a motor vehicle you need to keep your plates and registration. These may be turned in for refund on the registration fee if over $10. The buyer can drive the vehicle for 30 days without plates if he has the title.
  • All title transfers are processed before 4 p.m. Call if you need more details.